Happy Leap Day! Since most people do not know too much about leap year, here are some facts:
- A leap day is to make up for the fact that 365 day years are shorter than a solar year (by 6 hours).
- Leap years happen only in years that are divisible by 4.
- Years that are evenly divisible by 100 will not be leap years unless they are also evenly divisible by 400.
- The tradition that women can propose to men only during leap years (or some say only on Leap Day) is thought to have originated in Ireland during the 5th century.
- In Finland, if a man refuses a woman’s proposal on Leap Day, it is expected he buy her enough fabric for a skirt.
- People who are born on February 29th are called “Leapers”.
Enjoy your extra day!