With so many options of cookie recipes, it’s always difficult to decide which one will be Santa’s favorite. This year I decided to stick with the classic Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies. This recipe makes soft and chewy cookies which are my favorite so I can only assume that Santa will like them as well. Feel free to substitute raisins or anything else for the chocolate chips. I originally found this recipe from The Joy of Cooking cookbook and have been using it for years. Enjoy!
1 3/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 lb butter softened
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips (or any kind of dried fruit you choose)
3 1/2 cups rolled oats
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a mixing bowl.
3. Beat butter, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, and vanilla with a hand mixer at medium speed.
4. Sift the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix well.
5. Fold in chocolate chips and oats.
6. Spoon 1.5 inch balls on to a non-stick cookie sheet
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 6 to 9 minutes, rotating half way through baking. Cookies should be lightly firm in center when done. These are very easy to over cook.
8. Leave out on a plate with milk for Santa to enjoy. You may want to try them first to make sure Santa won’t get sick.